Many physiological processes decline with age, balance shouldn't be one of them. We begin with a thorough evaluation of the balance and vestibular systems. The PT then customizes a program to address specific patient needs. Continuous functional testing and outcomes are performed to track progress.
Balance tasks can be broken down into 6 categories. Our balance rehabilitation program will evaluate and address deficits in any or all these 6 areas: :
- Limit of Stability - the amount one can sway in any direction without loosing their balance
- Anticipatory Control - anticipating routine movements
- Reactive Postural Control - the ability to maintain balance when reacting to an external force
- Sensory Orientation + Integration - what we see, feel, and the function of the inner ear to maintain balance
- Stability During Gait- ability to sustain balance while walking and performing tasks.
- Biomechanical - Strength and range of motion of joints that help maintain balance